Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Open Source Hardware

I love MAKE magazine - and always encourage folks to read. Phillip Torrone from Make mag and Limor Fried - a super smart Open Source developer presented a really cool session on Open Source hardware, which is in it's infancy. The Chumby is one example. Learned a lot. If you are interested, email me. There's so much to tell. I will say that there are all kinds of really cool kits and schematics that let you create really fanastic stuff. Like the Minty Boost - USB charger for your gadgets. After this session, I am sure that I bring the average IQ down here. Brilliant folks!

So, what are we doing in libraries to support this growing culture of making and hacking things? I think there's some good programming and materials that support hobbies out there...what about kits? what about build it labs - where all kinds of information and materials can be accessed...

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Interesting idea Stacey!

I saw Limor Fried and Phil Torrone playing frogger with Roombas they'd hacked at SXSW last year.

Must be some way for libraries to engage in the DIY, Open-Source movements.

S Aldrich said...

Hey Sandy,

I totally agree. I think libraries are a great place to offer resources for the MAKE generation!